Finding patterns in the Bible


File:Giovanni Gerolamo Savoldo 005.jpg
Transfiguration by Giovanni Gerolamo Savoldo (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons).



Last week for homeschool we did a narration of the Transfiguration. While reading the story aloud, I had an epiphany: it echoes the story of Moses receiving the 10 Commandments. I shared the parallel between the two stories with my boys. Now I’d like to share it–and the principle behind it–with you.

As a writer and avid reader, I am convinced of the inspiration of Sacred Scripture. (Besides, of course, being convinced as a Christian by the authority of the Church.) Dozens of writers over thousands of years produced the book we now call the Bible. They were from different cultures, used different literary genres, and had diverse purposes.

Amazingly, the same themes are developed throughout the Bible from beginning to end. Types and anti-types, prophecies and their fulfillment, fill its pages. You can follow one idea like a wave on the sea from Genesis to Revelation, or stand on the shore and admire the rhythm of the ocean that is the entire Bible.
I love to share these patterns with my children. I get excited about them, and that excites my boys!


Read the rest at Contemplative Homeschool.

Comments

  1. So interesting, Connie. I was also delighted to follow all the foreshadowing of Christ's life and the teachings of the Catholic Church in the O.T. It is so fascinating and complex that it is simply another sign that the holy Spirit inspired everything

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary